Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Birthday

So, yesterday was my birthday. What a day it was. It started out great- the kids were so excited for my big day. They promised to be so good getting ready for school since it was my birthday, and they were! I spent the day trying to get everything organized as we were getting our family holiday pictures taken in the evening. That event seems to be much easier and runs much smoother when clothing, food, and bags are prepared and a calmness accompanies us to the studio- imagine that! LOL The pictures turned out alright. Nolan decided to be the pistol this year. We have one shot where he is in complete, total meltdown- red face, tears coming down the cheek... a total display of discontent! Murphy's Law- all children will not completely cooperate when getting family photos taken! As much as John dreads this occassion, he knows it is very important to me and goes into it with a good attitude. (Thankfully!)

Yesterday was also the first snow of the year. The first snow is so beautiful and exciting... after a few snows it becomes a real pain and not so beautiful! Funny how that goes. Nolan was so excited. At first he thought I was kidding, but after he discovered I wasn't, he opened up the curtains to watch it fall from the picture window. Em immediately reported the first snow to me as soon as she walked in the door from school. Cute!

My birthday also had a very sad aspect to it as well. My cousin had her first baby on the 22nd of this month. Immediately after delivery she had some major issues and ended up dying, although was revived after a few minutes. Doctors got her back to life, yet made no promises while preparing her for flight to Pittsburg. Saturday she seemed to have been showing a spec of improvement and her parents and siblings were sent home to go see and take care of the baby. They were notified on Sunday to immediately report back because a turn for the worst had occurred. Yesterday no brain activity was detected and her kidneys had totally failed. All progress ceased and she passed away. She is being kept alive until today in order to remove all viable organs for donation. It is a very sad time for my family right now. Not only did she never get to see or hear her newborn infant daughter, she has a new home that she got to live in for less than a week. If you have a moment, please say a prayer for this family that is desperately hanging on and trying to cope with loss, sadness, desire for reasons, and now has a little baby that never got to see her mommy that needs all the love she can get, and a daddy who is in need of great support and love too.

So, that was my birthday... I can say the 29th is not one I wish to repeat. You won't hear me saying "29 and holding." I promise that. But, my husband and children made it a great day. (I was not told of the sad news until the end of the night as my parents didn't want to damper my day.)

1 comment:

Karen Sue said...

Trying not to cry here at work.. so sorry for your loss. It is hard to understand and being a Christian with a mom and math mind, it is sometimes difficult to just accept things and not try to figure everything out or try to fix it. I read The Shack recently ..kind of heavy in parts, but you may like it. Deals with accepting tragedy and going on. Dan is reading it for a book report for Elaine. I hope that works out OK.